Online (sales) training can either be synchronous or asynchronous.
- occurs in real-time
- all participants interacting at the same time
- e.g. webinars, Skype, chat rooms, live discussions
- all participants not logged into the course/discussion/online at the same time
- e.g. email, blogs, wikis, videos, documents, courses
While there are advantages to synchronous learning – people can interact with each other – there are many advantages for asynchronous learning:
- people do not need to be set to a certain time
- people can attend their normal day jobs
- people can proceed at their own pace
- people can repeat failed courses
Both the asynchronous and synchronous methods rely heavily on self-motivation, self-discipline, and the ability to communicate in writing effectively.